![]() |
|
Events In Honduras - Printable Version +- Deep Politics Forum (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora) +-- Forum: Deep Politics Forum (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/forumdisplay.php?fid=1) +--- Forum: Political, Governmental, and Economic Systems and Strategies (https://deeppoliticsforum.com/fora/forumdisplay.php?fid=33) +--- Thread: Events In Honduras (/showthread.php?tid=1695) |
Events In Honduras - Peter Lemkin - 25-07-2009 Magda Hassan Wrote:Well, we can expect no better from the wicked witch of the North. She has always been quite clear where she stands on this matter. Her very good friend Lanny is representing the coupmongers before the US congress and others. If the US really supported 'democracy' she should be offering to return with him on a US military jet and landing at the US military base and escort him back to the palace instead she blames the victim of the criminals for any outcomes. Despite all the rhetoric, I can't remember the last time the USA used its might for something positive. All the USA would have to do is call the Coup-ers and say, Listen you undemocratic thugs, the President will be back in Honduras escorted by the Sec. of State and a squadron of American fighter planes, fully armed, which will land at the US Airfield. Vacate all offices of government or face the consquences.... ...instead we get handwringing and monday morning quaterbacking...and calls for 'negotiations'! These people are too transparent. I think the Native Americans had it about correct, when they said the European invaders spoke with a forked tongue! Events In Honduras - Keith Millea - 25-07-2009 http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/07/25-6 Clinton Calls Zelaya's Return 'Reckless', Rights Groups Respond US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has called a move by ousted Honduran President Manuel Zelaya to cross the border into his homeland "reckless." Zelaya briefly crossed the Honduran border on Friday before quickly returning to neighboring Nicaragua to avoid arrest. The incident occurred almost a month after the country's military sent him into exile. The Honduran military is known to be trained by the US military before Zelaya elected as president in the Latin American state and ended his country's alliance with Washington, its traditional ally, and teamed up with Venezuela, Ecuador and other anti-US leftist leaders in the region.The military has a history of dictating governmental policies and legislations. Clinton called the act "reckless", adding that it would not help restore democratic and constitutional order in Honduras. She also stressed the Obama administration's support for the proposal put forth by Costa Rican President Oscar Arias, which includes an 11-point plan to reinstate Zelaya and offer amnesty to the leaders of the coup. Zelaya, however, said he was forced to act on his own after the US-backed talks failed to reach an agreement with the coup-installed government to reinstate him. The interim government has vowed to arrest him if he tries to return. Earlier in the day, security forces fired tear gas at dozens of pro-Zelaya supporters trying to reach the border to greet the president near the coffee town of El Paraiso. Several people have reportedly been wounded in the clashes. According to a Press TV report, the Honduran Army has also imposed a curfew on the entire district near the Nicaraguan border crossing. Meanwhile, Mark Weisbort of the Washington-based Center for Economic and Policy Research told Press TV that Honduras-based human rights groups are worried that the interim government is adopting a repressive policy of selective assassination, similar to the one incorporated in the 1980's. Some regional leaders believe that the US -- despite its condemnation of the incident -- was actually behind the June 28 military coup against Zelaya in a bid to undermine the new alliance formed by socialist heads-of-state in Latin America. Hillary and Lanny will soon have warm indigenous blood all over themselves.May their nightmares be eternal...........:banghead: Events In Honduras - Magda Hassan - 26-07-2009 Well, aparently Zelaya has once again returned to Honduras. Here is Eva Golinger's latest info on these events: Quote:President Zelaya is at the Honduran border again, reinitiating his attempt to enter the country, which although he passed through briefly yesterday afternoon, his reentry was prevented by military forces under orders from the coup regime. He is hoping to reunite today with his wife and children, who have been detained since yesterday several miles from the border in El Paraíso, Honduras, by police and army forces. There are approximately 3000 police and army forces at the border preventing Zelaya's reentry and interaction with supporters on the Honduran side.http://www.chavezcode.com/ Events In Honduras - Peter Lemkin - 26-07-2009 Magda Hassan Wrote:Well, aparently Zelaya Good pieice above, but that quote [or is it 'declaration'?] by Casas-Zamora is a sickening, amoral, meddling, arrogant, imperialistic, illegal, pro-Coup, anti-Zamora, anti-Guatemala piece of Monroe Doctrine crap. Its like the bad-old days supporting Apartied S.A. but giving lip-service to rights for the majority non-White polulation there, etc. Business as usual for Chiquita, Corporate expoiters and America.....sick stuff. Some 'change' Mr. Obama! Pillory Hillary! Events In Honduras - Magda Hassan - 26-07-2009 Well, it's continuity 'they' can believe in. Chump change for us. Events In Honduras - Magda Hassan - 26-07-2009 http://resistenciamorazan.blogspot.com/2009/07/militares-patriotas-se-ponen-del-lado.html> Check out the url above to listen to a communique called in by an anonymous military officer, declaring the existence of a strong and organized group of lower-ranking officers who are strongly opposed to the coup and the repression dictated by the General Vasquez and the current military leadership inside Honduras. The officer was calling in from El Paraiso, but said his group is national in scope. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Military in Honduras Backs Plan on Zelaya By GINGER THOMPSON and BLAKE SCHMIDT Published: July 25, 2009 WASHINGTON ? The Honduran armed forces issued a communiqu? on Saturday indicating that they would not stand in the way of an agreement to return Manuel Zelaya, the country?s ousted president, to power. Meanwhile, in Las Manos, a town along the border between Nicaragua and Honduras, Mr. Zelaya made his second symbolic appearance in two days, defying calls from foreign leaders to avoid any moves that might provoke violence in his politically polarized country. The communiqu? was drafted in Washington after days of talks between mid-level Honduran officers and American Congressional aides. Posted on the Honduran Armed Forces Web site, it endorsed the so-called San Jos? Accord that was forged in Costa Rica by delegates representing President Zelaya and the man who heads the de facto Honduran government, Roberto Micheletti. The accord, supported by most governments in the hemisphere, would allow Mr. Zelaya to return as president, although with significantly limited executive powers. Mr. Micheletti has steadfastly rejected Mr. Zelaya?s return as president. In its communiqu?, the Honduran military added its support to the proposal. Officials involved said it was meant to dispel any perceptions that the military would block civilian efforts to resolve the crisis. The officials said the military communiqu? was significant because it was the first sign of support for the San Jos? Accord by a powerful sector of the de facto government. And the officials said it could make it more difficult for the Honduran Congress and Supreme Court to reject the accord when they consider it. American officials who met here with the Hondurans said that they were two colonels who were concerned about the tensions generated by the political conflict. Joy Olson, executive director of the Washington Office on Latin America, a nonprofit human rights group, said she was told that the officers were showing Congressional aides a recording of the day Mr. Zelaya was detained, as evidence that no abuses had been committed against him. In the meantime, however, thousands of troops had been deployed to tighten security along the border to prevent Mr. Zelaya from returning. And thousands of his supporters defied government curfews and military roadblocks, by abandoning their cars and hiking for hours to reach the remote border post to see him. Mr. Zelaya vowed to try a third time to re-enter Honduras. "We are ready to take this to its final consequences," he told his supporters. "We are not afraid.? Ginger Thompson reported from Washington, and Blake Schmidt from Las Manos, Nicaragua. Events In Honduras - Magda Hassan - 29-07-2009 Now we will start to see action. US and German capital is screaming because of the strikes and boycotts. From Bill Conroy: Quote: Letter to Secretary Clinton Regarding Honduras Events In Honduras - Magda Hassan - 29-07-2009 At last something positive, even if for all the wrong reasons, comes from the US State Department. US Revokes Diplomatic Visas of Honduran Coup Members Posted by Al Giordano - July 28, 2009 at 11:53 am By Al Giordano ![]() Well, this is a start: Revocation of Diplomatic Visas Developing...Ian Kelly Department Spokesman, Office of the Spokesman BUREAU OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS Washington, DC July 28, 2009 The Department of State is currently reviewing the diplomatic (A) visas of individuals who are members of the de facto regime in Honduras, as well as the derivative visas for family members of these individuals. We have already revoked diplomatic visas issued to four such individuals who received their diplomatic visas in connection with positions held prior to June 28 under the Zelaya administration, but who now serve the de facto regime. Update: There was a strange set of contortions in today's State Department press briefing in which spokesman Ian Kelly claimed he couldn't reveal the names of those whose visas were revoked. (I doubt very much he has any legal footing for that argument because immigration laws give zero rights to foreign citizens on US soil.) Anyway, the New York Times has two of the names of the soon to be dearly deported: State Department spokesman, Ian Kelly, declined to identify the officials but Honduran officials identified two of them as Tomás Arita, a Supreme Court justice who signed the detention order that led to Mr. Zelaya’s removal by the military, and José Alfredo Saavedra, president of Congress. If true, that's a hopeful sign, given the centrality of the Supreme Court judge and Micheletti's replacement in Congress to the coup. At first glance, it sounded more like the revocation of visas of lower level functionaries. But these guys are the scum de la scum of the coup and making an example of them is exactly the right move.Update II: The other shoe that falls with the expulsion of coup collaborators from Washington is that representatives of the legitimate Zelaya government are re-taking the Honduran Embassy. Elizabeth Dickinson of Foreign Policy reports that Zelaya's Communications Minister Enrique Reina has come to Washington to take on the role of Honduran Ambassador to the US: When Honduras's minister of communications, Enrique Reina, learned that his president had been ousted in a coup, he immediately tried to get to the state television station to send the people a message. He never made it -- but he did make it to the United States, where I spoke to him tonight, and where he has just been nominated to be ambassador of Honduras here in Washington. His predecessor's visa was revoked by the State Department today, due to his having supported the coup. Update III: Add four major apparel manufacturers with factories in Honduras to the mounting voices that Washington can and should do more to isolate and boycott the coup regime. This Open Letter to Secretary Clinton was signed by Nike, The Gap, Adidas and Knights Apparel. Here's an excerpt: While we do not and will not support or endorse the position of any party in this internal dispute, we feel it is necessary in this case to join with the President of the United States, the governments of countries throughout the Americas, the Organization of American States, the UN General Assembly and the European Union in calling for the restoration of democracy in Honduras. It's interesting that they directed their letter to the Secretary. Clearly, they too can see that Clinton has been the most problematic and double-talking member of the US administration regarding restoration of democracy in Honduras. And over at Foggy Bottom and the rest of Clinton Inc., they're starting to feel the blowback.We are also very concerned about the continuation of violence if this dispute is not resolved immediately, and with restrictions on civil liberties under the July 1 Emergency Decree. We urge for an immediate resolution to the crisis and that civil liberties, including freedom of the press, freedom of speech, freedom of movement, freedom of assembly, and freedom of association be fully respected. http://narcosphere.narconews.com/thefield/us-revokes-diplomatic-visas-honduran-coup-members Events In Honduras - Magda Hassan - 31-07-2009 An update. The curfew remains in place from 6 pm till 6 am in most places except the border regions near Nicaragua where there has been a 24 hour curfew in the last week. This has greatly affected trade and commerce in those areas and caused millions of dollars damage. The curfew has been eased in these areas now. President Zelaya is meeting with the US ambassador, the Cuban-American Hugo Llorens, and a delegation of US officials, to Honduras in Nicaragua. No details about the meeting as yet. The legitimate First Lady of Honduras, Xiomara Castro has realised that the military were going to expatriate her by taking her to the border and now she and her group have returned to the capital where she will make an announcement tonight. You can listen to it here at Radio Globo: http://www.radioglobohonduras.com/index.html Coup supporters (los perfumados) arranged to import 2 bus loads of 'locals' from the capital city Tegucigalpa into Zelayas home town to make it look as if there was grass roots support for the coup there. The real locals got wind of it and set up a peaceful road block and the imported 'locals' never made it to Zelayas town. Thursday was a deadly day in Honduras. There were protests all over the country and there was violent repression in many of those places. Roger Abraham Vallejo Cerrado, 38, secretary of the San Martín high school (below) was shot in the head and died. Twenty five other people were wounded and 88 people arrested at the same protest. ![]() The presidential candidate, Carlos Reyes, was badly beaten by the military which resulted in a broken arm and a bloodied ear for him. Juan Barahona, the national union leader was arrested at the protest. He claimed to Presna Latina that “They treated us like animals,” whilst under arrest. TV crews from Venezolana de Televisión (VTV) were attacked by the police, so I guess the police are no longer on strike as they were a couple of days ago. Roberto Micheletti, according to multiple press reports, ordered the police and military forces to “put a stop” to the peaceful blockades. Now seen on much of the money in Honduras: The military is far from united and more splits are becoming apparent daily. Below is one Quote: Events In Honduras - Peter Lemkin - 31-07-2009 Would I love to see Clinton, Obama and the USA [not to mention the Oligarchs in Honduras and the America corporations behind them!] get a black-eye over this - and soon! We can hope!!!!..... |